It is the oldest and the most widely consumed alcohol all over the world. It is prepared from cereal grains like barley, wheat, maize, and rice. Some flavoring agents such as herbs and fruits may also be used. (Health Benefits of Beer)
The Beer composition is:-
- Water:- The main ingredient and about 93% of the total weight. Water is used because it contains various dissolved minerals such as bicarbonate ion which gives the beer its taste.
- Starch Source:- The starch present in the beer acts as a ferment-able material and determines the strength and flavor of the beer. The most commonly used starch source is malted grain.
- Hop:- The flower of the hop vine is used as a preservative and as a flavoring agent for beer. Hop is responsible for the bitterness of the drink.
- Yeast:- It is a microorganism which is responsible for the fermentation of beer. It also influences the character and flavor of the beer.
- Clarifying Agent:- Agents like isinglass, Irish moss, gelatin, etc are used to make the beer appear clear and free from any precipitation.
- Other Ingredients:- There are some other ingredients such as Sulfur Dioxide, Benzoic Acid, Paraben, Arsenic, Lead, Copper, Saccharin, Neotame, and Sucralose.
Xanthohumol which is a flavonoid compound is found in the hops. It plays a major role in the chemoprevention of cancer.Beer is also a good source of polyphenols, because of the grains used for fermentation. It is effective in fighting cancer, same as the red wine.
Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases:-
Beer contains Vitamin B-6 which provides protection against heart diseases by preventing the building up of a compound called homocysteine. This compound has a thinning effect on the blood and also prevents the formation of clots. This leads to blockage in the coronary arteries.Medium amount consumption of beer also reduces the risk of inflammation, the main cause of atherosclerosis, which is a disorder in which there is cholesterol and plaque build up on the blood vessels and the artery walls.
Increases Bone Density:-
Medium intake of beer increases the bone density which prevents the risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
Moderate amount consumption of beer reduces the risk of causing type 2 diabetes.
Beer is a good source of Vitamin B-12 and folic acid, deficiency of which may lead to anemia. Vitamin B-12 is also necessary for maintaining normal growth, concentration, and a good memory.
Lowers Blood Pressure:-
Regular beer consumption has been found to lower blood pressure.
Benefits of Beer for Skin:-
Beer enhances the potency and impact of Vitamin E, a major antioxidant in the body. Vitamin E is important for the maintenance of healthy skin and also slows down the aging process.
Regular consumption of a medium amount of beer affects the cholesterol levels and also decreases bile concentration which leads to reduced risk of gallstones formation.
Prevents Dementia & Coronary Disease:-
Beer consumption also increases the level of good cholesterol by about 10-20% which reduces the risk of dementia and heart diseases.
Prevents Dementia & Coronary Disease:-
Beer consumption also increases the level of good cholesterol by 10-20% which reduces the risk of dementia and heart diseases.
Reduces Risk of Kidney Stones:-
Beer is high in potassium and low in sodium. It is also a rich source of magnesium, which results in reduced risk of kidney stones.The silicon present in beer is also readily absorbed by the body which provides a protective effect against osteoporosis.
Beer is known to reduce stress and facilitate sleep.
Beer acts as a diuretic and increases urination. This increases the removal of toxins and waste materials from the body.
Cleanses Gastrointestinal Tract:-
Beer is a good source of fiber that promotes general health. It is good for the heart and it also helps in cleaning out the digestive tracts.
- Drinking or consumption of beer in excessive amount may lead to its addiction and is also dangerous for the health and give a negative effect on all the benefits.