It is a famous delicacy of the Indian tradition. Almond/Badam ka Halwa is crucial for celebrations of any kind. It can also be consumed on normal days too! In fact, in India grandmothers, advice their grandchildren to have this halwa every morning, throughout winters as it helps the body to keep warm and the children are less likely to catch cold or fever. This is a delicious morning ritual that nobody would ever want to skip!
This is an all-time favorite winter recipe. It is a bit rich in ingredients, so it’s not possible to have more than a few spoons at a time. This sweet dish can be stashed safely in the freezer and you can have some every day, mainly in winters. In this recipe, we have added a small amount of whole wheat flour to create a crunchy effect and it also prevents the formation of ghee/oil on top of the halwa. (Badam ka Halwa Recipe)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup ghee/oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- A few strands of saffron/kesar.
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom/elaichi powder
- 2 tablespoon almonds for garnishing.
- Firstly soak the almonds in enough water in a deep bowl for around 8 hours. Drain the water and remove the skin from the almonds and keep aside.
- Blend the almonds in a mixer to a coarse powdered mixture without using any water and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee/oil in a deep non-stick cookware and add the almond mixture after the ghee/oil gets heat up properly.
- Mix well the mixture with the ghee and cook on medium flame for about 7 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Meanwhile, take another cookware and add the milk and half cup of water and boil it for about 3 to 4 minutes and keep aside.
- Now add the whole wheat flour to the mixture of almonds and mix well and cook on medium flame for about 2 minutes followed by continuous stirring.
- Add the milk-water mixture to the above and mix well and cook on medium flame for around 5 minutes, with continuous stirring.
- Then add sugar to it and mix well and cook on medium flame for 1-2 minutes, with continuous stirring.
- Now add the saffron strands and mix well and cook on medium flame for about 1 minute, with continuous stirring.
- Finally, switch off the flame, add cardamom powder to it and m, x thoroughly.
- Serve it warm with the garnishing of the almond slivers.
- Store it in an air-tight container.
- Energy- 282 calories
- Protein- 3.5 grams
- Carbohydrates- 20.4 grams
- Fiber- 0.2 grams
- Fat- 20.2 grams
- Vitamin. A- 135 mg
- Vitamin. B-2- 0.1 mg
- Vitamin. B-3- 0.6 mg
- Vitamin. C- 0.2 mg
- Folic acid- 1.5 mg
- Calcium- 68.7 mg
- Iron- 0.7 mg
- Sodium- 3.8 mg
- Potassium- 20.4 mg
- Zinc- 0.5 mg
BENEFITS OF ALMONDS:-
- They are natural flavor enhancers giving a sweet aroma to the dish.
- Coarsely powdered almonds provide a good crunchy taste to your dish and are good for someone who likes crunchy taste in his/her food.
- Almonds are rich in magnesium and help in strengthening of bones of our body.
- They help in the regulation of blood sugar levels of the body and is useful for diabetic patients.
- These are rich in fiber and hence aids digestion.
- It is rich in fatty acids, Vitamin E, and protein.
- Almonds smooth the functioning of the body muscles.
- They are rich sources of anti-oxidants and prevents aging.
- Soaked almonds are rich sources of Vitamin B-17 which helps the body to fight cancer.
- They help in reducing bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the body.
- Soaked almonds are good sources of folic acid.
- Almond consumption can also help in weight loss along with strict diet.