It is a condition in which the bowel movements become frequent that means the passing of stool more frequently than normal and in a watery consistency. It occurs because the bowel is not allowing to absorb water or when more fluid is secreted in the bowel which leads to watery stools. The passing of one loose stool cannot be considered as diarrhea. If a person passes three or more stools in watery consistency within 24 hours then it is considered as diarrhea. Though this disorder is not serious it can be an indication of some severe underlying disease if it persists for a prolonged period. (Home Remedy for Diarrhea)
Diarrhea can be caused due to:-
- Bacteria or parasites: It is the most common causes due to the consumption of canned foods which is a source of bacteria that leads to diarrhea. Many people suffer from diarrhea because of traveling. When a person travels in any areas it occurs due to food contamination.
- Viruses: A common cause of diarrhea is the viral infection of the gastrointestinal system. Viral diarrhea is common in childhood.
- Medications: Many medicines cause a side effect that leads to diarrhea mainly after taking antibiotics. These chemicals disturb the natural balance of the bacteria in intestines thus causing diarrhea.
- Lactose intolerance: Lactose is a type of sugar present in milk and its products. The body has an enzyme for the digestion of lactose. If a person is suffering from diarrhea continuously after the consumption milk and its products, then it means that the body is not digesting lactose.
- Medical conditions: Diarrhea is the first manifestation of most of the medical conditions such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and many more.
Symptoms of diarrhea are as follows:-
- Loose and frequent watery stools
- Abdominal cramping
- Increased thirst
- Increased heart rate
- Decreased urination
DIARRHEA HOME REMEDIES/HOME REMEDY FOR DIARRHEA:-
These are the home remedies for the diarrhea treatment and for the cure of diarrhea in children:-
Yogurt is an effective home remedy for curing diarrhea. It is natural probiotic which acts by balancing the harmful and good bacteria in the intestines. If a person is suffering from diarrhea, then eat a bowl of yogurt 2-3 times a day.
It has been in use as a home remedy for treating diarrhea since ages. Banana is rich in pectin which tends to reduce diarrhea. It is also a good source of potassium which is imbalanced inside the body due to diarrhea. Consuming some ripe bananas in the diet will help treat diarrhea more quickly.
It contains an anti-spasmodic property which reduces the abdominal cramping. One can have chamomile tea by boiling chamomile flowers in water. It will also reduce intestinal infection.
Consumption of rice diet during diarrhea without spices can help in the treatment. Rice is easy to digest as the intestine can’t work much in digesting heavy meals, so it is the best home remedy for curing diarrhea. Rice adds bulk to the stool thereby decreasing its water content.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Diarrhea:-
It is a natural product that can be used in home remedies for a number of conditions. It is a killer of viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Mix 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in water and drink it at least three times a day. It will flush away the diarrhea-causing organisms from the body.
It is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and an anti-oxidant. It reduces diarrhea by killing the diarrhea-causing organisms in the body. One can have a tsp mixed with water or mixed with some yogurt and honey for the treatment.
It is used for curing diarrhea if it is caused due to food poisoning. It alleviates abdominal cramps and also improves digestion by enhancing the release of digestive juices in the stomach. One can have grated ginger in a tbsp of honey. Consuming ginger in the form of tea is also helpful. Take it thrice a day for better treatment.
Cumin and Fenugreek Seeds:-
Both of these seeds are best home remedies for curing diarrhea. They are rich in mucilage which provides the antidiarrheal effect. Have one tsp of each cumin and fenugreek seeds mixed in yogurt thrice a day for quick relief.
Soups And Fluids
As diarrhea can cause the body water content to decrease which leads to dehydration, it is important to intake fluids. One can have soups to provide a soothing effect to the intestines. Consumption of a lot of water at least 8 glasses in 24 hours. It is recommended to mix 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of salt in 1L of water and drink it regularly until diarrhea subsides. This sugar-salt water mixture will prevent dehydration, and it will also maintain the body electrolytes in the normal range which is disturbed during diarrhea.