When a person lifts something or pull a muscle and feel a tweak in the body, they might often have a hernia. It occurs when a part of the adipose tissue of the body or an organ breaches the wall of the cavity in which it is located inside the body. This mainly happens in the abdomen and the groin, with a number of varieties, such as hiatus, umbilical, and incisional.
A hernia can be either femoral or inguinal, the former occurs in the inguinal canal, and the latter occurs in the femoral canal. Femoral hernias can be dangerous in women and require a surgery to be fixed. It is caused mainly by excessive coughing or overstraining the body during weight lifting, a poor posture, and some sharp impacts to the abdomen.
Some of the common symptoms of a Hernia are:-
- Mild inflammation
- Extreme pain
- Internal bleeding
- Organ malfunction
Symptoms as per types:-
- Inguinal Hernia: These hernias develop in the groin region. They might also develop on any side of the pubic bone and is more common in men. The protrusion enlarges when a person changes position, cough or perform any kind of physical activity. Straining during urination or bowel movements can lead to a bulge in the affected area. These lead to a heavy sensation which is much more prominent while lifting something or bending. Inguinal hernias can lead to swelling as well as pain in the testicles of the men as the bulging portion of the intestine might descend into the scrotum.
- Femoral Hernia: In this, a portion of the intestine bulges out via a weak area in the abdominal wall near or around the thigh. The bulge is detected in the upper part of the thigh and under the groin. The femoral artery and the vein pass through this region. Physical strenuous activities, on the groin or the thigh area, can cause pain.
- Umbilical Hernia: These hernias are seen near the navel areas. They are mainly common for babies. Umbilical hernias occur mainly when the abdominal muscles fail to close around the belly button while the baby is still inside the womb. This causes the intestine to bulge out via the weak areas. They do not cause any pain, but the protrusion might become more pronounced due to regular movement. Babies containing umbilical hernias might not show any symptoms in the early years of the life but might do so later on.
- Incisional Hernias: These hernias develop after an abdominal surgery. They occur as a scar and are visible as a prominent bulge. Medical conditions that put pressure on the abdominal wall and extreme physical activities might lead to an incisional hernia.
The common causes and factors that lead to a hernia are:-
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Openings in the abdominal cavity
- Weakness of the abdominal wall
- Increased strain on the abdominal cavity
- Lifting heavy objects
- Persistent coughing
- Strain during urination or bowel movements
- Chronic lung disease
- Accumulation of some fluid in the abdominal cavity
- Family history of hernias
Hernia treatment mainly includes surgery, if it is large and painful. Surgery makes the weak abdominal wall much secure and closes up the existing holes with some cloth patches. For umbilical hernias, doctors recommend waiting till the child is 5 years old. In some of the cases when the bulging sac becomes strangulated and the blood supply is cut off then emergency surgery is needed. If the medical attention is not received immediately, the bulging area might lose the blood supply completely and the patient might also die.
This herb has been used as a remedy for various ailments like respiratory problems and a sore throat. Licorice root also heals the damaged areas of the stomach lining as well as esophagus caused due to a hernia. This help alleviates burning and the pain in the chest and throat region.
Ginger root protects the esophagus and the stomach from damage due to the increase in the gastric acids and the bile.
The chamomile herb soothes the lining of the digestive tract and also reduces the production of the stomach acids. It also helps in soothing the esophageal lining.
Marshmallow root possesses many health benefits like improved digestion and decrease in the production of digestive acids. It helps alleviate the hernia-related symptoms.
It is a herbal supplement which strengthens the muscles that are responsible for the support and also protect the internal organs. It might also prevent the development of Hernia and also prevents its recurrence. Hawthornia composed of herbs like a citrus seed, hawthorn, and fennel.
This herb relieves the inflammation, pain, and swelling. It also reduces the bleeding and infection. The tincture of this herb, if applied externally to the affected area can help alleviate the symptoms. The herb can also be taken internally as well in the form of supplements.
The stimulation of some of the pressure points helps in reducing the pain and discomfort. This alternative therapy might not cure the problem but might help in treating the symptoms.
Mild Exercise for Abdominal Muscles
Engaging in some of the mild exercises which help strengthen the core abdominal muscles, can help cure a hernia. Regular practice of these exercises shed the excess body weight and thereby lowers the pressure on the abdominal muscles. Do not exercise immediately after eating or meal consumption and wait for around 2-3 hours.
Stress can help prevent and lower the stomach problems and acid reflux. To manage the stress via techniques like yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation.
Ice compresses is one of the best home treatment for a hernia. They also alleviate pain and the swelling caused due to a hernia.
Castor Seed Oil
This oil has been used for ages to treat stomach problems, as it coats the stomach in a thin lining, thereby preventing inflammation and promotes proper digestion. Prepare a castor seed oil pack and then place it on the stomach to soothe the symptoms of a hernia.
Aloe Vera Juice
It is a natural anti-inflammatory and a soothing agent. Aloe vera should be consumed every morning in the juice form. For better results, eat it before every meal, this prevents the development of a hernia.
Black Pepper Powder
It soothes the stomach problems and reduces the inflammation in the gut. It also suppresses acid reflux and stimulates the healing in the body parts that have been compromised when there was pushing by the organ on the cavity wall.
- Avoid applying any kind of heat or pressure on the affected area.
- Avoid exercising during full stomach.
- Tight clothes can apply pressure to the abdomen part and hence wear loose and comfortable clothing.
- Keep the head of the bed elevated by around 6 inches, this will prevent the gastric acids from traveling back into the esophagus canal during sleep.
- Avoid the consumption of large meals and go for smaller and frequent meals throughout the day.
- Restrain from lying down or bending down just after eating.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol.