The area between the chest and the groin are known as the abdomen. It is also referred as tummy or belly. The abdomen contains various important organs such as stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas. Abdominal swelling is a symptom that occurs when a disease, disorder, or a condition affects an organ or tissue present in the abdomen, which leads to bloating or become enlarged. (Yoga for Bloating)
Abdominal swelling is limited to one small area of the abdomen, occurring throughout a greater area of the abdomen. The swelling might last for only a short period of time or it might persist, depending on the cause. There may be mild discomfort or there could be serious abdominal distension that could interfere with the breathing or the organ functioning.
The common causes of bloating are as follows:-
- Consumption of foods and beverages such as gas-producing foods (beans, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower or acidic drinks)
- Swallowing air, i.e., talking while eating
- Intake of medicines like aspirin, antacids, corticosteroids, stool bulking agents, anti-diarrhea medicines, and opioid painkillers.
- Intake of food supplements like multivitamins and iron.
- Food intolerances like lactose intolerance.
- Fluid Retention
- Food allergies or sensitivities
- Hormonal changes
Bloating is also caused due to some of the medical conditions:-
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Diverticular Disease
- Coeliac Disease
- Colon Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Digestive Disorders
Bloating can be easily managed by making some lifestyle changes and with the OTC medication. Here are some ways to avoid bloating:
- Adjusting the diet- eliminate various gas-producing foods from the diet and start the consumption of fruit and vegetables, intake of plenty of fluids and regular exercise.
- Sit down while having a meal.
- Chew the food slowly to reduce the amount of air ingested.
- Don’t consume fizzy or acidic drinks.
- Do not talk while eating.
The symptoms of bloating are as follows:-
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and rapid breathing
- Fainting or Lethargy
- Rise in body temperature
- Rapid pulse
- Intolerable pain in the abdomen
- A pulsating mass in the abdomen
- Bloody or black stools
- Vomiting blood or black material
- Signs of jaundice, i.e., Yellow eyes and skin.
- A Fever
- Skin Rashes
- Watery eyes, itchy throat and some other signs of an allergic reaction
- Unintentional weight loss
- Trouble while going to the bathroom
- Pain around the lymph nodes, including the groin, throat or armpits
- Brain fog and trouble while concentrating
- Irregular Periods
FOODS TO CONSUME TO PREVENT BLOATING:-
- Probiotics:- “Good bacteria” are known as probiotics that act like friendly gut bugs in the digestive tract and killing the bad bacteria that trigger various digestive issues and reactions. One can take probiotic supplements, but intake of natural probiotic foods such as kimchi, Saurer kraut, yogurt, kefir, and kombucha is much more beneficial.
- Raw dairy:- Consumption of raw dairy products such as yogurt, cheese, Kefir, and milk is very beneficial.
- Water-rich fruits and vegetables:- Vegetables and fruits that are rich in water, electrolytes and various beneficial enzymes are the best for relieving stomach bloating naturally. Try the consumption of more raw or cooked leafy greens, cucumber, celery, fennel, artichoke, melon, berries, steamed veggies, and cultured vegetables.
- Herbs, spices, and teas:- Natural digestion-soothing herbs such as ginger, dandelion, aloe vera, and fennel have been used for years to soothe an uncomfortable belly. These herbs act like diuretics and help the body to release extra fluid, whereas ginger, also help the stomach to release its contents and also relaxes the muscles in the digestive tract and help relieve constipation. Start the consumption of fresh-ground herbs, fresh peeled ginger root, aloe vera juice, and herbal teas.
FOODS TO AVOID BLOATING:-
Here are some foods to avoid to prevent bloating:-
- Sugar and sweetened snacks:- Sugar is easily fermented in the gut and can contribute to the candida overgrowth and also promotes inflammation.
- Dairy products:- These include flavored yogurts with sugar and some artificial ingredients. The modern manufacturing processes also remove most of the important enzymes in them.
- Refined grains and grain products:- Gluten is very difficult to digest for most of the people, and so are corn, oats, and other grains.
- Veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, and garlic. These vegetables contain sulfur and various carbohydrates.
- Beans and legumes, which increases gas
- Carbonated drinks
- Chewing gum
- Various fermentable fruit such as apples, peaches, and other stone fruit and avocados.
- Artificial sweeteners and sugar alcoholic drinks:- These include sugar such as aspartame, sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol.
EXERCISE TO REDUCE BLOATING FAST:-
Spinal Twist Pose
Bridge Pose or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
One-legged Seated Spinal Twist