It is a joint disease causing inflammation of the joints. A joint is an area where two different bones meet together. Joint function is to move the body parts that are connected to the bones. Arthritis means the inflammation of one or more joints of the body. (Yoga for arthritis)
Arthritis is also known as joint pain. Joint pain is known as arthralgia. When 4 or more joints are involved, then arthritis is known as polyarthritis. If 2-3 joints are involved, then it is known as oligoarthritis. When a single joint is involved, then it is known as monoarthritis.
There are many types of arthritis but only 2 main type of arthritis are well known. They are:-
- Osteoarthritis:- In this type, there is wear and tear of the cartilage.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis:- In this type, the inflammation is caused due to an overactive immune system.
The common causes that lead to arthritis are:-
- Injury leads to osteoarthritis
- Metabolic abnormalities lead to gout
- Hereditary factors
- Direct and indirect effect of some infections, ie., bacterial and viral
- A misdirected immune system
Some of the symptoms and signs of joint pain or arthritis are:-
- Joint redness
- Joint swelling
- Locking of the joint
- Joint tenderness
- Joint warmth
- Loss of range of the motion of the joint
- Loss of cartilage
- Gland Swelling
- Weight Loss
- Loss of Handgrip
- Bone growth
- Abnormality of organs like Lungs, Heart, and Kidney.
Here are some facts that one should know about arthritis:-
- Arthritis is the inflammation of one or more body joints.
- Symptoms of arthritis involve pain and limited functioning of the joints.
- Arthritis can be caused by anyone including men, women, children, as well as adults.
YOGA FOR ARTHRITIS:-
Here are the yoga poses that are beneficial and useful for lowering the symptoms of arthritis. These poses include yoga poses for arthritis in knees, yoga for arthritis in hands, and yoga for arthritis in hips.
Stand with both the feet touching, and then bring the hands together, palm-to-palm, and place them at the heart. Exhale and raise the arms upward. Slowly bend backward and then stretch the arms above the head. Relax the neck and inhale. This pose increases the flexibility of the body and also stretches the spine.
This is the best and easy way to stretch the lower back. Drop down to the knees and spread the knees wide and bring the big toes together. Sit the hips back on the feet or heels and reach the arms forward onto the ground. This yoga pose increases the flexibility and stretches the spine and the hip joints.
Get on all fours with the hands and shoulder width apart, the wrists right under the shoulders, and the fingers spread wide. The knees should be at hips width and right under the hips. Now bring the chest forward and up toward the ceiling, as the shoulder blades press down toward the waist, and tip the pelvis up and back so that the sitting bones reach up. This pose improves the flexibility and stretches the spine.
This pose is the reverse of the cow pose. From all fours, pull the navel in and up to round out the spine, arching away from the ground. Reach the hips back toward the ankles to increase the space between each vertebra. This pose stretches and lengthen the spine, improves flexibility and maintains the body posture.
Lie on the back and draw the knees toward the chest, and wrap the arms around the legs, giving a little hug. Twist a bit side to side or twist back and forth.
Now, take the arms out into a T shape and scoot the hips to the right, and move the bent knees up and over toward the left elbow, taking the gaze to the right. Hold and breathe properly. Then gently bring the knees back to the center, scoot the hips a bit to the left and take the bent knees up and over to the right and gaze to the left, to switch it to the other side. This pose acts as a massage to the spine.
Lie in a supine position on the floor, bend the knees, and set the feet on the floor. Exhale and press the insides of the feet and the arms into the floor. Push the tailbone up, firm the buttocks, and lift them off the floor until the thighs are about parallel to the floor. Keep the knees directly over the heels and lift the upper part of the hips toward the belly button. This yoga pose helps in maintaining the body posture.
Start on all fours, with the knees directly below the hips and the hands slightly in front of the shoulders. Spread the palms and turn the toes under. Next, exhale and push the knees away from the floor. Lengthen the tailbone away from the back of the pelvis and press it lightly toward the upper part of the hips. Now, lift the sitting bones toward the ceiling, and draw the inner legs up into the groin area from the ankles. This pose improves the flexibility and stretches the spine.
Take a lunge position, drop the right knee to the floor, and lengthen the tailbone in the direction of the right heel. Lift the arms up and slide the right knee forward. Breathe into this stretch and lift the arms. This pose improves the flexibility and stretches the hip joints.
Lie on the back with the knees bent and the feet on the floor. Inhale and then flatten the back into the floor as one slowly exhales. Feel the tailbone and lift slightly. Inhale as one relaxes onto the floor. This pose stretches the back and helps relieve pain.
TIPS TO CURE ARTHRITIS:-
A person can look forward to getting relief from arthritis with regular yoga practice. Here are some tips for the arthritis patients for joint pain treatment.
- Consume lots of fresh fruits, green vegetable salads, boiled and baked vegetables, boiled pulses, and slightly cooked grains and cereals. Avocado and soy products are also recommended.
- Intake plenty of water.
- Fasting enhances the cleansing property of the lungs, skin, liver, and the kidneys. It also relaxes the nervous system.
- Avoid the intake of bananas, curd, rice, or other related items in the diet.
- No smoking
- Avoid the intake of tea/coffee completely or reduce its intake.
- Limit the consumption of the milk and milk products.
- Sri Panchakarma process helps reduce joint inflammation via natural techniques like detoxification, oil bath, sauna, and the application of herbal pastes on the joints.
- Keep providing positive affirmations to oneself time to time.
- Keep smiling always.
Also, see this video for better yoga practice or yoga for arthritis video:-