To get a roundup of RegularFeed’s greatest and most vital tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Friday, extra like Fri-yay! It’s April 29, 2022, we’re right here with the most recent headlines, however truthfully our brains are largely targeted on all of the hardcore enjoyable we’re going to have this weekend. Like doing laundry, napping, taking part in with our pets, studying a e-book for some time and sleeping in. I do know, we’re previous and boring, take care of it. — Christine and Haje
The RegularFeed Prime 3
- Promoting Tesla, getting a fairly tweet deal: Everybody’s favourite social media-acquiring billionaire is promoting $4 billion price of Tesla inventory and supposedly has a brand new Twitter CEO lined up. He additionally shared that he has the beginnings of a plan for learn how to monetize tweets.
- Wait, firms must generate income? Robinhood’s inventory value goes off a cliff as competitors will get stiff and its enterprise mannequin is increasingly more skew-whiff.
- House is the place the advantages are: Airbnb staff obtained a enjoyable shock this week when the corporate instructed staff it was instituting a “reside wherever, work wherever” philosophy. Wish to work within the workplace? You bought it. Wish to hold working from dwelling? No downside. Wish to transfer to a overseas nation and work from there? Sure, however solely as much as 90 days yearly. We guess even they’d to attract a line someplace.
Startups and VC
Civilian drone producer DJI and the Ukrainian and Russian governments proceed their spat. Most lately, DJI suspends gross sales in Ukraine and Russia in an obvious try to seem extra impartial.
We have been significantly enthralled this morning by Jim Motavalli’s characteristic article about bidirectional charging. In different phrases: If the facility goes out, what does it take to energy your own home out of your automobile’s batteries?
Johnny’s within the basement, mixin’ up the medication, I’m on the pavement, studying information with wonderment:
- They develop up so quick: That feeling if you actually need to plow some money right into a startup, however they’re just a bit bit too younger? Yeah, Techstars hates that too, and it debuts a brand new fund geared toward investing in earlier-stage firms.
- Do I appear to be I do know what a JPEG is: Revise raises $3.5 million to present NFTs powers past simply being a fairly image.
- The Sport of Telephones: Vercom, who desires to be a competitor to the likes of Twilio and Sinch, acquires advertising automation MailerLite for $90 million.
Charged with billions in capital, meet the 9 startups growing tomorrow’s batteries immediately
In his first RegularFeed+ article, Senior Local weather Author Tim De Chant examined 9 startups optimizing EV battery expertise which have collectively raised simply over $4 billion within the final 18 months.
Enhancing tech like solid-state batteries, changing particular chemical parts and utilizing hybrid chemistries are only a few of the strategies startups are deploying to unlock advantages like lowering weight whereas rising vary and security.
“However automobiles and vans received’t be the one factor touched by the battery revolution that’ll happen over the subsequent few years,” he writes.
“Like many advances, higher, lighter and longer-lasting batteries will drive adjustments in our lives which might be each sudden and welcome.”
(RegularFeed+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You may join right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
We’re happening a little bit of a curler coaster experience by way of excellent news versus not, so hold your arms and legs contained in the publication, and also you’ll be good.
- Amazon’s crown is slipping: Within the kingdom of the general public cloud, we be aware that Amazon is an “undisputed king,” however Microsoft is poised to storm the fort. Amazon continues to carry courtroom, controlling a 3rd of the general public cloud for years, however Microsoft has been quietly amassing a public cloud military that now accounts for 22%, up from 20% final 12 months.
- And Amazon’s earnings, not so good: Shares of the corporate have been all the way down to a two-year low on the information that the corporate reported a first-quarter loss attributed to “inflationary and provide chain pressures.”
- Apple has a unique earnings take: In immediately’s fruit information, Apple reported some record-breaking providers income figures that elevated 17% from final 12 months to achieve $19.8 billion. There are a number of causes for the nice quarter, together with promoting a number of iPhones, computer systems and watches.
- Netflix made some layoffs: A few of Tudum’s editorial employees discovered themselves laid off yesterday. Tudum, you may bear in mind, is Netflix’s in-house publication that solely began 5 months in the past. Whereas Netflix stated Tudum was not shutting down, it’s transferring ahead with out an editorial supervisor and no less than seven others.